Tupac Shakur Murder Trial: Jury Hears Accused Killer Acted Out of Revenge

Tupac’s Suspected Killer Driven by ‘Revenge,’ Prosecutor Tells Jury
Duane Davis (Photo by STEVE MARCUS / POOL / AFP)

 Rapper Tupac Shakur was shot dead in an act of gang revenge ordered by a mobster who later boasted of it, jurors heard Monday, as one of America’s most anticipated trials got under way, 30 years after the murder.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis, a one-time leader of the South Side Compton Crips, one of a patchwork of gangs that ran parts of Los Angeles in the 1990s, ordered the killing after his nephew had been beaten by a rival mob, prosecutor Binu Pilal told a Las Vegas court.

“On September 7, 1996, Tupac Shakur publicly, on camera, participated in a humiliating beating of Duane Davis’s nephew, Orlando Anderson,” he said.

“Then, two and a half hours later… Tupac is gunned down in a drive-by shooting from a white Cadillac in an act of revenge.”

Pilal told the court that Davis did not pull the trigger himself, but instead handed the firearm to a passenger in the back seat of his vehicle and instructed them to open fire on the rapper.

According to Pilal, Davis subsequently admitted to his role in the killing during numerous interviews with law enforcement and media outlets, as well as in his own autobiography.

“Over the years, in private interviews, in public statements, and even in private calls, Duane Davis has repeatedly told us over and over again about the anger he felt, and his own role in the revenge drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur.

“And now, nearly 30 years later, we’re going to ask you to finally hold Duane Davis accountable,” he told the jury.

The 63-year-old Davis has pleaded not guilty to all charges in the trial, which is expected to span more than a month. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.


East Coast vs. West Coast Hip-Hop Rivalry

The murder of Shakur, widely recognized as 2Pac, remains one of the most high-profile cold cases in American history, sparking decades of speculation surrounding the motive and perpetrators.

The artist, who was 25 years old at the time of his death, served as a central figure in the bi-coastal hip-hop rivalry between the U.S. East and West Coasts.

Famed for chart-topping tracks such as "California Love" and "All Eyez on Me," Shakur was born to a Black Panther activist and raised in Harlem and Baltimore. He later came to embody the West Coast gangsta rap movement after joining the Los Angeles-based label Death Row Records.

The court proceedings are set to examine the conflict between Death Row Records, co-founded by Marion "Suge" Knight, and Bad Boy Records, the East Coast imprint established by Sean "Diddy" Combs, whose roster included Christopher "The Notorious B.I.G." Wallace—who was slain in March 1997.

According to prosecutors, Death Row Records maintained ties with Mob Piru, a Los Angeles street gang affiliated with the Bloods alliance, through Knight's associations.

Conversely, Bad Boy Records contracted the rival South Side Compton Crips, spearheaded by Davis, to provide security services.

On the night of the incident, Knight and Shakur attended a Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas. During the event, they engaged in a physical altercation with Davis's nephew, Crips member Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson, in retaliation for an earlier dispute involving a Death Row employee.

Prosecutors contend that this altercation motivated Davis to seek retribution.

Hours later, a white Cadillac carrying Davis, Anderson, and additional passengers pulled alongside Shakur's vehicle in Las Vegas. Gunfire erupted from the Cadillac, inflicting fatal injuries on the rapper.

The investigation stalled for several decades due to insufficient physical evidence, but momentum resumed following the 2019 publication of Davis's autobiography.

In the memoir, Davis placed himself in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac and admitted to passing a firearm to occupants in the rear seat, though he refrained from identifying the shooter. All other individuals present in the Cadillac that night are now deceased.

Since then, Davis has backtracked on those accountings. He maintains that his previous admissions were mere bravado and fabricated by a ghostwriter solely to boost book sales, and he has entered a formal plea of not guilty.

© 2026 AFP

Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url